I know, you're probably asking what a soup is doing in the salad month. But it's technically a salad, disguised as a soup. A green gazpacho soup that is. Serve it as an appetizer or part of your meal and you have soup and salad in one.
This is a refreshing and zingy take on the many versions of gazpacho floating around. It's just barely sweet from the pineapple and a bit sassy from cilantro, cumin, chili, and lime. The flavor is a merge of pineapple salsa and guacamole. The avocado gives it more heft and creaminess than regular gazpacho while adding essential healthy fats that help your body absorb the fat-soluble nutrients from the greens. And please (!) don't skip the toppings, they really pull the flavors together.
On a hot weekend afternoon, we took this in a thermos to a swimming hole perched on a hill in the city. Ah, summer!
Green Pineapple Gazpacho
Notes: Taste your pineapple first. If it is really sweet, only add a cup to begin with, then adjust from there. And if you prefer a thinner gazpacho you can add more water, and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups cubed pineapple
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 long English cucumber (with skin on, if organic), cut in big chunks
- 1/2 red chili (or 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes), or to taste
- 1 small red onion, cut in big chunks
- 1/3 cup cilantro, leaves and soft stems
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 2 limes (or lemons)
- Green onions (scallions)
- Pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Feta or queso fresco
- Add everything to the food processor (or blender) and blend for several minutes until smooth. (Depending on the size of your processor, you may have to do this in two batches.) Taste and adjust for acidity, salt, and spice levels.
- Transfer to a large bowl, cover, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. The longer it has time to chill and for flavors to meld, the better.
- Serve chilled with toppings. Best enjoyed within 2 days.
(Apologies, I forgot to add the pumpkin seeds before taking the photos!)