Beet season is wrapping up here in Switzerland, but I could not in good conscience make these nachos without sharing the recipe with you. The beets, when roasted until crisp, are nutty and sweet and provide the perfect contrast to the tang and spice of the black bean salsa. If you are a local reader and cannot find beets (because I probably bought the very last one - don't ask how I know that!), then sweet potato chips would be the perfect substitute. In fact, I wish I had thought of this while I was at the store.
My husband declared this black bean salsa the best of three worlds. When we can't decide on guacamole, salsa, or black bean salad, we'll combine the three and have everything in one. This is the result and it's super tasty. And leftovers (if you have any) make the perfect lunch the next day; wrap up in a tortilla or flatbread, spoon over brown rice or quinoa, or eat as a black bean salad with spinach or kale.
Serves 4-6 as small bites/appetizer (2 as main)
Notes: If you cannot find beets, use sweet potato chips instead.
- 1 large beet (or several small ones)
- Coconut oil (or ghee/butter)
- Sea salt
- Black Bean and Avocado Salsa (recipe below)
- Heat oven to 325 F (162 C).
- Wash and, if organic, scrub beet with a vegetable scrubber. Otherwise peel skin if not organic. Thinly slice beet using the thin blade of a mandolin. Alternatively, slice as thinly as possible with a sharp knife, keeping in mind the slices will inevitably be thicker/uneven and need to cook longer.
- Place beet rounds on a large parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet (you may need to cook in two batches),
- brush with melted coconut oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes, until beets turn light brown, ends curl up, and begin to dry out. Remove from oven and immediately transfer beets to a wired cooling rack. They will crisp up as they cool.
- Just before serving, top beets with salsa, and enjoy!
Black Bean and Avocado Salsa
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (or 15 oz can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced (or spring onions for a milder flavor)
- 1 red chili, thinly sliced (or jalapeno)
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, diced
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- Feta, crumbled (to taste)
- Add lime juice and next four ingredients (through salt) to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Add remaining ingredients and toss gently to combine.
*Beet chips inspired by Dishing Up The Dirt