In the spirit of Halloween coming up, I made you an especially delicious orange and black soup. It's a smoky Mexican-inspired black bean soup, topped with a fresh and zesty roasted sweet potato salsa packed with lime, cilantro, and radishes. And as with any good Mexican soup or chili, we like to load this one up with other toppings too, namely avocado, toasted pumpkin seeds, crumbly goats cheese, and more cilantro and lime. I didn't want the pictures to look overwhelming with toppings (because we do tend to overwhelm our bowls with toppings), so these were added post-picture. But they're delicious, essential additions for us, so I hope you don't skip them!
Whether you need an easy, substantial meal to feed kids before trick-or-treating, in hopes they fill up on soup instead of candy, or you simply want something festive and warm, this soup has you covered. I hope you love it!
Black Bean Soup with Roasted Sweet Potato Salsa
Notes: The recipe calls for chipotle chili powder (for smoky heat) and smoked paprika (for sweet and smoky flavor). If you don't have chipotle chili powder, use regular chili powder, more smoked paprika, or my personal favorite - 1 chipotle from a can of chipotles in adobo, plus a spoonful of adobo sauce. Adzuki and/or kidney beans may be substituted for black beans.
- Knob of extra-virgin olive oil (or ghee/expeller pressed coconut oil)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chipotle chili powder (or regular chili powder)
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 3 cans black beans (or 4 1/2 cups/760 gr., cooked)
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups (480 - 600 ml) water
- Scant 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salsa (recipe below)
- Additional Toppings: avocado, toasted pumpkin seeds, feta, cilantro, squeeze of lime
Roasted Sweet Potato Salsa
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut in bite-size cubes
- 1 Tbsp. melted ghee (or olive oil/coconut oil)
- 8 large radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 red chili/jalapeño, minced (optional)
- Handful fresh cilantro (leaves + tender stems), chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- Generous pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 215 C/425 F.
- Place sweet potato on a baking tray and toss with ghee and salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 15 minutes, or until tender and beginning to brown around the edges. Combine with remaining salsa ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- While sweet potato roasts, heat ghee in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion, garlic, chili powder, and smoked paprika until fragrant and onions begin to soften (2-3 minutes). Add black beans. (If using canned, add one can with the liquid. Rinse and drain other two cans). Add 2 cups water and salt. Cover, bring to a bowl, and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a potato masher to mash 1/3 of the beans to thicken soup slightly. (Use a hand blender if you don't have a potato masher.) Stir in sherry vinegar. Add more water if you want a thinner soup.
- Ladle into bowls and top with sweet potato salsa and additional toppings of choice. Enjoy!