What do you do with leftover rice and a few lonely vegetables hanging out in the crisper drawer? Fried rice, of course!
Quick to prepare, resourceful, and endlessly versatile, this is another one-pan weeknight wonder. Cook the eggs first, remove them, then sauté the aromatics (any combination of garlic, scallion or onion, ginger, and chili), add veggies, then rice. Stir in a three-ingredient sauce, top with herbs and lime for freshness and toasted cashews for crunch, and dinner is served.
There's good protein in here with the eggs and cashews. But if I have shrimp on hand I add them in with the aromatics, then remove while the vegetables cook. Shrimp and peas make an especially nice pairing. For a spring variation today, I'm using asparagus and peas. But many veggies work here: broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, chopped spinach, or shredded carrots and zucchini.
Several varieties of rice work as well. I had small amounts of both basmati and black rice leftover this time, which I combined here. Who knew leftovers could be so good! If you give this a try, leave a comment below telling me what combination of veggies, rice, and protein you enjoyed!
Speedy Veggie + Cashew Fried Rice
- Knob of ghee or coconut oil
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 2 green onions/scallions, sliced
- 2 garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece ginger, minced
- 1 red chili (or 1/4 tsp. chili flakes)
- 3 cups (300 gr) leftover rice
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 bunch (150-200 gr) asparagus, sliced into coins about the size of peas
- 1/2 cup (80 gr) peas
- 3 Tbsp. tamari
- 3 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sweetener of choice (I use muscovado - unrefined cane sugar)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Handful cilantro (10 gr), roughly chopped
- Generous handful toasted cashews, crushed or roughly chopped.
- Melt ghee in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs and tilt pan slightly so eggs cover the bottom like a thin crepe. Cook, undisturbed, until set (3-4 minutes). Use a large spatula to gently flip and cook on the other side (2-3 minutes).
- Remove egg crepe to a cutting board, roll up like a cigar and slice into ribbons. Set aside.
- Add more ghee, then add green onions, garlic, ginger, and chili. Cook one minute, until fragrant. Add veggies and a pinch of salt. Cook 3-5 min until softened. Stir in rice and warm through.
- While veggies cook, make the sauce. In a small bowl whisk together tamari, vinegar, and sugar. Once rice is warmed through, turn heat to low, pour in sauce and stir until everything is coated evenly. Remove from heat. Fold in egg ribbons and juice of 1/2 lime.
- Transfer to a serving platter or serve directly in individual bowls. Top with toasted cashews and cilantro.