This quinoa porridge is a riff on one of the most popular breakfasts on the blog: Cinnamon Hazelnut Quinoa Porridge. Today's version is as delicious. It's naturally sweetened with pear and spiced with star anise and cinnamon, two spices which work wonders to enhance the pear flavor. Having cooked quinoa on hand (I'll cook a big pot on the weekend) is the secret to getting this porridge on the table in 10 minutes. I usually jump into the kitchen to put the porridge on to simmer while I finish getting dressed so that breakfast is waiting for me when I'm ready for it.
I've been traveling the last 10 days and sometimes missed having a filling and healthy option to start my day. Of all meals, finding a good breakfast when traveling is usually the most difficult for me. So I always come home with renewed appreciation for how easy it is to make and enjoy a satisfying porridge like this in my very own kitchen.
Pear Almond Quinoa Porridge
Notes: I like to use unsweetened rice milk because it's naturally sweet, and especially when paired with the grated pear, it eliminates the need for additional sweetener. But almond milk or another plant-based milk also work well.
- 1 medium pear (ripe but firm), divided
- 3/4 cup (136 gr) cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) unsweetened rice milk
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch of salt
- Toppings: chopped pear, dollop of almond butter, toasted slivered almonds + shake of ground cinnamon (the latter two are not pictured)
- Grate half the pear on a box grater and add to a small pot along with quinoa and the next four ingredients (through salt).
- Cover pot and gently simmer for 10 minutes. In the meantime chop the other half of the pear.
- Remove star anise and cinnamon stick from pot and pour porridge into a bowl. Top with the desired toppings. Enjoy immediately!