As I write this, it is pouring outside and the temperature online reads 15 C (59 F). It doesn't feel fitting to share such a cooling summer recipe at the moment, but I've made it several times in the recent warm days and really love it. Plus I know many of you in the Northern hemisphere are probably still flaunting your cute shorts and sun-kissed bare skin and can certainly use such a recipe.
Summer melons, stone fruit, and vegetables are bursting with a vibrant flavor that is clean and bright in a way no other season's produce come close to matching. Little preparation needs to be done in order to bring out this vibrancy. And if we listen, this lesson to think and act simply in the kitchen is what summer whispers to us each year. But it doesn't stop in the kitchen, it applies to everything we do. Don't you find it is easier to let our minds wander and get the best of us? It takes much more focus and awareness to just be, to be present in the moment and quiet our minds.
I deliberately challenged myself to make a simple recipe as a reminder to declutter the thoughts in my head and make space for quiet simplicity. Because being present and quiet is very nourishing. For me whole nourishment is more than just the food I prepare and enjoy, it's a holistic approach to health. It's the sum of nourishing the body, mind, and soul. And I can't help but see that the way we think about food and what we choose to eat is connected to the way we approach life and nourish other aspects of our being. Health is dynamic, the mind-body-soul connection is real, and I have found summer to be a great time to focus on quiet simplicity, in the kitchen and beyond.
Melon and Avocado Refresher
- 1 small Galia melon (or other green melon variety such as Honeydew or Jerusalem), cut in bite size pieces
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 large scallion/green onion (2 small), chopped
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Few pinches chipotle chili powder or regular chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Drizzle honey
- Pinch salt
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds, toasted
- In the bottom of a medium serving bowl whisk together lime juice, chili powder, and the next four ingredients (through cilantro).
- Add the melon and avocado and gently stir to coat with the vinaigrette. Scatter around pumpkin seeds and extra cilantro to garnish, and serve.