We've entered what I like to call hibernation preparation season. The darker, colder days are calling us indoors. We're pulling out the sweaters and blankets, and the oven, soup pots, and crock pots are back in regular rotation. Which also means it's the season for warm, cozy drinks, like today's latte!
As the name suggests, this herbal latte is naturally free of caffeine because the base is an herbal tea bag of choice. (See suggestions in the recipe.) Simply spiced with cinnamon and vanilla and topped with frothy maple-sweetened milk, this drink is never more than five minutes away from sipping. I enjoy it on cold mornings, especially with the optional extras for an energy boost. But the base recipe is perfect for winding down the day, snuggled up under a blanket on the couch. Hope you enjoy!
Cozy Herbal Latte
Notes: Any mild herbal tea you enjoy works for this latte. I particularly love roasted dandelion root tea (Europeans, see here). Aside from the fact that it provides digestive and liver support, roasted dandelion has a rich, nutty flavor. The roasted flavor makes it feel a little like coffee and some people use it as a caffeine-free replacement. This recipe calls for a milk frother. If you don't have a frother, simply warm milk and syrup on the stove or in the microwave, then follow instructions for blending with tea.
- 1 herbal tea bag (rooibos, fennel, roasted dandelion root, chamomile)
- 1 cup (240 ml) boiling water
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) unsweetened oat or almond milk
- 1 1/4 tsp. maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Splash of vanilla extract (~1/2 tsp.)
- 1 scoop (2 Tbsp.) unflavored collagen powder (I like this brand)
- 1 tsp. maca powder
- 1/4 tsp. medicinal mushroom powder
- In your favorite mug, steep tea bag in 1 cup boiling water (5 minutes).
- Warm and froth milk and 1 tsp. maple syrup in a milk frother. If your frother doesn't have a warming setting, warm milk first.
- Remove and discard tea bag. Add tea to blender along with 1/4 tsp. maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla extract. If using optional extras, add them to the blender now. (If you're not using a frother, add warmed milk and maple syrup to blender as well.)
- Blend until smooth and frothy (1 minute). Pour back into mug and top with frothed milk. Sip & enjoy!