I made this Roasted Salmon Salad back in the spring and have been dreaming about it ever since. It made another appearance this weekend, and now I'm excited to share it with you!
It was inspired by the Waldorf salad, a creamy mixture of fresh, crisp apples, celery, walnuts, and raisins served over a bed of lettuce. My version keeps the freshness and crunch with grapes and celery, adds lemon juice and dill for extra zing, and roasted salmon to make it a substantial meal. And because I love a play of textures and flavors, the "bed of lettuce" turned into a fun mixture of steamed broccoli, greens (I like romaine), sun-dried tomatoes, and avocado. Plus, pickled onions to top….because what doesn't benefit from some pickled onions!
This meal works especially well for a quick dinner if you have leftover cooked salmon and broccoli in the fridge. It makes a great portable lunch too.
Roasted Salmon & Grape Salad
Notes: Recipe calls for roasted salmon fillets. I set my oven to broil (or grill), place salmon fillets on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet, season with salt, pepper and dabs of butter or ghee, then roast for 8-10 minutes, depending on thickness. Let cool slightly before flaking. Recipe also calls for grapes. You can replace with 1-2 Tbsp. raisins if you don't have grapes on hand.
- 2 6-oz (170 gr) salmon fillets, roasted
- 2 heaped Tbsp. mayonnaise
- Juice from 1/2 large lemon (~2 Tbsp.)
- Half a small bunch dill, chopped (10 gr.)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 medium stalks celery (or 3 small)
- Handful of grapes, halved (~10-12 grapes)
- 1 medium head of broccoli, cut into florets and steamed
- Couple large handfuls of greens (romaine, spinach, kale, or a mix)
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- Sun-dried tomatoes, to taste
- Balsamic vinegar, to taste
- Pickled red onions, to garnish
- Beet sauerkraut (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, lemon, dill, and salt. Use a fork to roughly flake roasted salmon. Halve celery lengthwise and thinly slice. Halve grapes.
- Add flaked salmon, celery, and grapes to the mayo mixture and gently mix to combine until everything is coated evenly.
- Add broccoli, greens, avocado and sun-dried tomatoes to another bowl. Drizzle with balsamic to taste and toss to combine.
- To serve, in a wide salad bowl layer the green mix, salmon salad, pickled onions, and sauerkraut if using.