Summer will be in full swing soon. For a lot of us, that also means a shift in cooking routine. I'm a summer girl at heart, so I'm always excited to change tempos in and outside of the kitchen this time of year. I look forward to dresses, sandals, figs, cherries, melons, and most of all, being greeted by warm air when I step outside in the morning. And to balance that warm air, I'm all about fresh, no-fuss meals for outdoor dining, casual entertaining, picnicking, grilling, or pool/beach-side eats.
With it's fresh, tart flavors and no-cook assembly, this smoked salmon appetizer is 100% summer-worthy. The base is a simple medley of finely diced green apple, cucumber, lemon, olive oil, and fresh dill. Top with creamy smoked salmon, an optional dollop of crème fraiche or yogurt (coconut yogurt, pictured), and you've got a delightful amuse bouche or appetizer on your hands….er, in your mouth. If you happen to have those cute little Asian soup spoons lying around, they would be perfect here.
We've officially moved to San Francisco! We won't be fully settled in our new home (aka: a fully stocked kitchen) until later in July when our container arrives from Spain. But don't worry. I've got several new recipes prepped and heading your way over the next month. Stay tuned for more fun summer meal ideas on the blog and on Instagram. And in the meantime, hope you find a simple, summery occasion to make these smoked salmon bites.
Smoked Salmon with Green Apple & Cucumber Relish
Serves 4-8 (depending on serving vessel)
- 1 large tart, crisp green apple
- 1 small cucumber, seeds removed
- Juice of 1/2 juicy lemon
- 1/4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped dill (plus extra for garnish)
- Heaped 1/8 tsp. salt
- 80-100 gr smoked salmon
- Crème fraiche or yogurt/coconut yogurt, optional
- Make the relish: Finely dice apple and cucumber. Place in medium mixing bowl along with lemon, dill, olive oil and salt. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Divide relish between small dipping bowls or Asian soup spoons. Top with a few pieces of smoked salmon. Add a dollop of crème fraiche or yogurt, if using. Garnish with a sprig of dill.