I don't think there could be a breakfast more perfect than this Mediterranean mezze. With its fresh vegetables and herbs simply dressed in olive oil and lemon or vinegar, feta cheese, soft flatbread, briny olives, and warm and creamy spinach lentil soup, there's something special about savoring a sampling of several small plates in a slow, simple, and unpretentious manner.Read More
Roasted butternut squash, fennel, garlic, lime, smoked paprika and apple are the main players in this soup. A playful sweet and tart offering that feels like a warm Autumn hug.Read More
This fig salad gives big returns for little effort. It's nothing more than an assembly job, but it's the type of salad I'm grateful for when it's hot out, my appetite is low, but I still want to enjoy a flavorful dish. Fresh figs takeRead More
Is it too early still for a lighter springy green salad? If you're like me and are feeling spring coming on then you may be eager to lighten up a dish here and there too. Warm, sunny days have come early to Switzerland this year. I say that but then we are supposedly back to winter this weekend.
Nevertheless I had an urge to make this salad. I kept it fresh and simple with tender, delicate greens, thinly shaved crunchy fennel, toasted sunflower seeds, and a bit of goat's milk feta. The feta goes nicely with the star of the salad, a raspberry vinaigrette. Frozen, defrosted raspberries are whizzed up with vinegar, olive oil, and fresh herbs for a quick, thick, sweet and tangy vinaigrette that you'll want to make over and over again. And if raspberries are in season by all means use fresh here!
Simple Green Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
Notes: I used Boston/Butter lettuce but Mache or any other tender leaf would also be nice.
- Several large handfuls tender greens
- 1 small bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced (with mandolin or knife)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup feta (goat's milk preferable)
- Raspberry vinaigrette (below), to serve
- Either keep greens as full cups so they hold the smaller components of the salad nicely. Place in large salad bowl and add fennel, seeds, and feta to each cup. Or tear greens into smaller pieces and toss with other ingredients. Pour vinaigrette over salad just before serving or pass at the table once salad is plated.
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, defrosted (measure when frozen)
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (white wine vinegar also works)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup tarragon leaves
- Drizzle honey (~1/2 tsp.)
- Scant 1/4 tsp. salt
- Splash water
- Add all ingredients to a small food processor (or use a hand immersion blender). Process until smooth. Taste, adjust to your liking and serve alongside salad.